If you recall, when I purchased Flip 5 it looked so tired…and red. The rusty red shutters were peeling, the red front door was faded, the awful red windows were leaking, and the red tile porch was cracked. Over the last 2.5 YEARS, I’ve slowly been addressing all of those issues (and then some!) to completely transform the curb appeal. I’m so excited to show the curb appeal makeover reveal with you all!
Since so many stinking projects went into this makeover, I’ve broken up the reveal into two posts: the front elevation reveal and the backyard makeover.
Curb Appeal Makeover Reveal
Replacing The Front Door
The front door was an original wood door with beautiful brass accents- including a mail slot. If you’ve followed me any length of time, you know I try my best to always keep the original in a home. However, I wanted a more secure, energy efficient door, but most of all, I didn’t want the mail slot in the door. While it adds charm, it’s a major pain to always come home and slide a pile of envelopes across the floor.
And while I hated to lose something original, replacing that front door was the best decision. I chose one with windows, so even more natural light comes into the space. It’s a steel door, so it’s sturdier and more energy efficient. It was a special order, and a bit of a splurge, but I don’t regret it one bit!
Power Washing & Cleaning Exterior
One of my favorite tricks to spruce up curb appeal is power washing. Not only does it clean & sanitize, it refreshes old concrete, dirty siding, and discolored awnings. One of the biggest culprits to collect grime, grease, and dirt is the driveway & sidewalk. I hired a local company to power wash my driveway, sidewalk, siding, and the Garage Airbnb awning…and it was money well spent!
You can pick up inexpensive power washers online or at big box stores, but the company I use is so affordable and does such a great job, I hire it out. Plus, if you’ve ever power washed, you know how messy (albeit satisfying) it is.
Painting The Shutters
The original shutters were a faded red, but besides their unfortunate color, they were in good shape. Since the bones were good, I decided to paint them. I had never painted vinyl shutters before, and it was such a very quick & easy project. The key is to pick the right paint.
You can learn more about how the process I used to paint them here.
Painting The Garage Door
One of the easiest changes I made, but yet offered the biggest impact was painting the garage door. The garage door was originally white and it blended in with all of the white siding. I wanted it to pop and compliment the black shutters. Like with the shutters, I had never painted a garage door. In fact, I had always paid someone to do it at flips! But I surprised myself with how easy it was!
You can see my full tutorial, including vidoe, here.
Replacing The Windows
You guys, I can’t put into words how bad the original windows were. They were cracking, peeling, leaking…you name it. They weren’t energy efficient, and they were a total eyesore. Replacing windows can tremendously improve your home’s value (& comfort). It can certainly be an expensive project though–but don’t worry, I shared how I saved $17,000 when I replaced the windows!
Repairing The Broken Stoop
The original front porch stoop had vintage tile…and you guessed it, it was red. The tiles had significantly loosened & chipped over the years. There wasn’t going to be a DIY project that could make them look better, so I removed them & hired some guys to pour some fresh concrete in its plan. The surrounding (RED!) bricks were still secure & in pretty good shape, so I left them. After the concrete had fully cured, I gave everything a coat of paint and gave the stoop a whole new life!
Surprisingly removing the broken tiles was pretty easy! And then once the concrete had cured, there was only one more project to tackle– restoring that really red (of course) & rusty railing. And that proved to be a rather difficult task! I tried scraping, sanding, and even chemicals and couldn’t make any headway until one of my Instagram followers recommended this product— and it was a game changer! I highly recommend it!
I used a two-tone paint design with Valspar’s porch paint. I used Valspar Light Gray on the concrete and Valspar Dark Gray on the brick trim. After I got all the old red paint & rust removed from the railing, I picked up Krylon Colormaxx enamel paint and gave it a couple coats of paint– and it looks brand new!
Cleaning Up The Flower Beds
I started addressing the overgrown flower bed situation last summer, but there are three large flower beds in the front of the home. It has been a lot of hot, manual labor getting these flower beds under control. There was a mixture of old mulch & pebbles, overgrown shrubs, & dead plants. I started by removing quite a few shrubs that had just overtaken the flower beds– and that made an immediate improvement. Once I had them weeded and prepped, I added a heavy duty weed barrier and fresh mulch!
Add Oversized Planters
One of my favorite curb appeal tricks is to invest in good quality oversized planters. I’m not talking small little pots- I mean very tall planters to add some visual appeal, height variation and even color coordination. I chose 4 large black oversized modern planters from Target. They’re weather proof (which I love)! I flanked the front door & garage door with them. They coordinate perfectly with the new black accents, and I chose vibrant annuals to add some pops of color!
Curb Appeal Before & After
It took years to finally be able to share a before & after! I hope that encourages you that DIY projects or home renovations do not have to be done overnight. Small projects, as you can afford them, will add up to a mjaor transformation!
This is Part 1 of a two-part series. Stay tuned for Part 2: The Backyard Transformation