In the south, a front porch is a staple. But even if you’re not in the south, a front porch is such a curb appeal asset. Buyers love front porches- and what’s not to love? Sitting on a porch with a cold drink watching the sunset– sign me up! If you’re here looking for some front porch ideas, whether it’s because you’re about to build on or not sure how to decorate one, I have five front porch ideas to get you inspired!
5 Front Porch Ideas
This post contains affiliate links. I receive a small commission from any purchase you make from those links. I provide these to you so you can shop the look while also supporting this blog. I greatly appreciate any purchases you make!
Small Porch Ideas
Not every porch has to be huge to be appealing. With just a few design changes, even a small porch can offer big style! Have a small porch? Here are some tips for big impact:
- Draw your eyes up! Whether you choose the famous haint blue, adding planks on the ceiling with an eye-catching color provides an easy update to even the tiniest porches
- Get floored! Sometimes existing small porches are more like concrete stoops. An idea is to build over the existing concrete to create a small deck area. While you’re at it, choose a bold & classic stain to give it a finished look.
- Go Green! Plants can add color & life. Usually staggered planters & seasonally appropriate plants, your porch can shine year round!
Updated Porch Railings
If you’re looking to create the most bang for your buck on your front porch, a unique & updated railing can add a tremendous amount of charm! Not only do they provide safety (& required by certain loan programs!), but they offer some eye-catching character that can set a home apart! When choosing a railing, here are some tips:
- Stay authentic! Choose a railing that matches the style of your home to keep the style authentic. For example, don’t pair a traditional style in an Arts & Craftsman home.
- Spray Paint If You Have To! If it’s not in the budget to replace existing metal railings, at least give them a fresh coat of paint!
Add Some Details
One of the simplest ways to make a porch feel like an extension of the living space is to add details. And the best part is that adding small details can be inexpensive & easy! If you’re looking to add some charming accents on your porch, here are some tips:
- Add Some Shutters! You can either purchase vinyl shutters (affiliate link) or easily (affordably!) make some cedar shutters. Shutters are one of my favorite accents on a home!
- Install Window Boxes! I know I said shutters are one of my favorite accents, but window boxes are a close 2nd. I just think they are an easy way to add charm & not hard to make! Window boxes are also a creative way to tie in a color scheme on the porch.
There’s more to decorating a porch than buying some chairs. In fact, there’s an often overlooked area that can be decorated: vertically! From walls to posts- you can make use of your vertical space. If you’re looking for some vertical decor ideas, here are some tips:
- Add outdoor curtains! Curtains aren’t just for inside. They can provide shade & design. Working with the vertical beams, you can hang curtains in a variety of different ways.
- Add a fan! In the south, a fan on the porch is critical in the summer months. Work with your existing home design to choose a fan that coordinates. Choosing an exterior grade fan is important.
- Make use of the walls! Whether you’re adding vertical planters or a custom wall plaque, walls can provide additional space to add some charm!
Make It Cozy
To really make a porch an extension of the living space, it needs to be comfortable. Adding comfortable elements is where you can really display your style & have fun. Tip: Change with the seasons to make your porch stylish year round. If you’re looking for tips to make your porch comfortable, here are some tips:
- Add Washable Blankets! On cooler nights, you’ll want a blanket to keep you warm! Keep a weather-proof basket handy with various blankets inside for you & guests. This is one of my favorites (affiliated link).
- Choose oversized cushions! There isn’t much that’s more comfortable than deep chair cushions. They invite you to relax & unwind. If you’re going to spend the money, spend extra to get the deeper cushions like these which come in a variety of colors.
- Accent with throw pillows! This is the easiest & most affordable way to update your porch with the seasons. You can also incorporate patterns & textures to provide some warmth to the space.
- Add a table! This can be overlooked, but remember that if you’re having a drink on the porch- you need somewhere to place your drink. Whether you choose a table like this or a garden stool, place it next to your seating for easy access. You can also choose tables like these that can double as additional seating if necessary (affiliate links).