As I’m back to focusing on Flip 3 (more to come in the future on that), the weather is finally good enough (although scorching hot) to get started on some curb appeal. Apart from the exterior painting, not a lot has been done to the curb appeal. And, yet, there is so much potential for this cute midcentury ranch to be darling from the outside!
Since midcentury design has come back with a vengeance in its popularity, I wanted to capitalize on that. But also, Flip 3 was a restoration project. Built in 1964, I wanted the details to harken to that era.
But as you may remember, I had A LOT to do.
One of the areas that I’ve walked by a million times and thought “I’m going to have to do something about that” is the vinyl siding. While in good shape, it was not only filthy but covered in mildew, especially on the north side of the house. I was actually dreading this project which is why I walked by it a million times without doing a thing about it!
With a little help from my nephew (he likes to use the spray bottle), he and I spent about an hour cleaning the siding and it was not bad at all! I dreaded it for nothing! Using an old dish scrubber and Tilex mildew remover, we got the siding clean! My nephew would spray small sections of the siding and I would gently scrub the siding. Once we had it all clean, I used the sprayer on the hose to clean it off. The mildew was only on the north side, but the other sides of the house were just covered in dirt. Using just the hose cleaned the dirt right off.
Part of what made this such an easy project was that I don’t have much siding on this house. The screened porch is about the only part that has siding. With the black and dirt gone, the siding looks so much better! I knew it had to be done, and I knew I didn’t want buyers to walk by and see black all over the siding, and with very little effort and time, this project really enhanced the curb appeal!