DIY Projects · Flip #3 · Uncategorized

Converting a Single Sink Vanity Into a Dual Sink Vanity

The only full bathroom in the house only had one sink. One sink for an entire house to get ready in the morning. I foresee lots of arguments and rough mornings. Those are the kinds of things that buyers think of when they’re shopping houses, so I want to eliminate those kinds of thoughts before they ever enter the house!

20170204_094358

Several months ago I removed the sink and put it in the laundry room bathroom remodel. And the main bathroom in the house has been without a sink ever since. While I’m used to living in remodel chaos, it still isn’t fun. I use this bathroom to shower but have to use the laundry room sink to brush and get ready. Obviously not convenient!

20170205_153541

Once Dad and I removed the existing countertop, it was time to transition the plumbing. The original plumbing only allowed one sink. By removing the existing galvanized pipe and replacing with PVC, we split the existing single pipe into two. This is a job that I hired out because I do NOT do electrical or plumbing.

20170220_151340.jpg

The first step was to address the drawer situation. The two sides had drawers in its original format; however, with the new sinks the drawers are no longer functional. Also, the middle faux drawer wasn’t really a drawer, but it had a drawer face. In the new design, the middle part will become a functional drawer and the two sides will become faux drawers.

20170220_151350.jpg

In order to make the drawer swap possible, we [and by we, I mean my contractor] had to destruct an existing drawer. We salvaged the front. Unfortunately, the drawer width doesn’t match up with the middle section. The middle section is slightly smaller, so my contractor is built a new drawer that is smaller by re-using the original drawer materials. I know that some people might hate that I’m losing two functional drawers, but I think having two functional sinks is a good trade off!

20170220_151405.jpg

My contractor built two support frames in the cabinet to hold the weight of the sink. He was able to use wood that was in the middle section where the original sink was at, so that helped to save on money! The sinks were a Craigs List thrifted score…$20 for two!

20170220_165853.jpg

By the end of Day 1, both supports had been built and installed for the sinks. The existing single galvanized pipe had been removed. All of the drawer fronts had been removed, and my contractor took a drawer home to resize for the middle section. I painted the cabinet before I started tiling and, surprisingly, very little damage was done to the paint job. Once it’s all finished, I’ll do some touch up painting.

20170222_114147.jpg

By the end of day two I had updated plumbing! There were no pipes on the left and right side if you remember since there weren’t any sinks. By drilling through the cabinet (inside cabinet “wall” between each section), the pipes were able to connect to both the right and left side. Each side is now ready to go once the countertop is installed. Then we’ll hook up the hose lines and the sink to the pipes.

20170222_114237.jpg

This is the section in the middle- that originally housed the sink. That is where the main water pipe is located. Our goal was to create a t-shape to create the dual sinks. This is all visible under the countertop area and will be visible in the cabinet itself; however, it is all at the very back of the cabinet. And since I’m losing two working drawers in this transition, I added a removable shelf in the middle section that wasn’t there originally. I made it removable in case any work ever needs to be done to the pipes, they can take out the shelf. I didn’t want to totally lose storage, so wherever I could add it, I did!

20170222_114140.jpg

By the end of day 2, everything was ready to go! The two side drawers that were originally functional drawers were permanently attached to the cabinet (and are no longer functional due to the sinks). The middle section that was not functional in its original state is now a functional drawer. The middle section also did not have hardware originally, and we added holes for the hardware. There is also the additional shelf in the middle section that wasn’t there originally. Luckily, I didn’t have to lose any of the shelves on the left or right side!

Since I hired out all of this job, it cost me around $250 with parts and labor. That won’t be the total cost of the conversion, but it’s a big chunk of it. Obviously if someone was way more comfortable with plumbing than I am, this could become a DIY project. Now that this big hurdle is over, up next is ordering and installing the countertop!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Converting a Single Sink Vanity Into a Dual Sink Vanity

Remember- If you can't say anything nice, DON'T COMMENT! This is a positive forum, and I love to hear your questions and positive comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s