Despite the laundry room chaos, when I have a spare minute or two, I’m trying to work in the green bathroom. It’s the only working bathroom– sans a sink. And to fully complete the remodel, it will be totally out of commission. The laundry room toilet is semi-working…when it feels like. So I’m definitely not living in ideal conditions.
That square tile was not original. Dad and a friend installed it years and years ago. It was their first DIY tiling job. I didn’t think the tile was authentic to the era of the home. So I’ve been working on busting up the tile, and I have finally finished that project (with only one injury to a finger!).
After I had all of that removed, I hand scraped the floor to get thin-set residue removed. Then I swept several times to make sure it was clean of debris.
The section of wood underneath the toilet needed replacing. Dad actually replaced it when he was still living at home, so that was the late 1960s. The wood was brittle, so I wanted something more secure.
There’s also a small section of wood in the corner near the tub that needed replacement. It was obviously replaced at some point, but the water from the shower has created more damage. I’m actually going to install an easy fix to prevent future water damage.
Once the subfloor issues were repaired, it was time to get the floors ready for tile. I used Hardibacker cement board. Since there were so many patches to the subfloor, I wanted to make sure that the surface for the tile was smooth and even. The backer boards were around $11 each. I needed 4, but I purchased 5 just in case. You may remember– I havne’t had the best luck with backer board in other flips! So extras are always a good thing.
Making small cuts to the backer board isn’t difficult but not necessarily easy. I needed to trim out an area on the board for the door trim, so that the board would be flush against the wall. Using a hammer, a flat head screwdriver, a box knife, and tin snips, I was able to carve out an area.
To attach the backer board to the subfloor, I used the screws designed for backer boards. That helps the board to stay in place and not float around.
Before I could put the backer board in the toilet area, I had the toilet pulled and the subfloor around it replaced with new wood. Once that was done, I was ready to finalize the backer board!
Now that I have steps 1 and 2 done, now comes the fun part! I will be laying the tile. Since I’m using mesh tile like I did on my DIY vanity, I will be using the same method for laying them out. Stay tuned for step 3!