Even with all the upgrades in the interior of a home, it’s the exterior that catches their attention. And the poor Bachelorette Pad had ZERO curb appeal. It is a complete and utter jungle. It will take me months to get it fully completed, but I have made some major changes. My primary attention has been focused on the front yard for right now. The front yard had large shrubs and azaleas that had not been trimmed in years, crate myrtles that were giants, a massive tree that had branches dragging the ground, and tons of weeds growing everywhere.
The day I bought the house, you couldn’t even see the house because of those crate myrtles. They’re giants! If they had been trimmed and taken care of, they wouldn’t be so bad. To create curb appeal, I knew they had to go though. But I love crate myrtles, so I didn’t want to destroy them. I plan on transplanting them to my backyard.
The shrubs in the front flower beds were so tall they were scraping the guttering. Each of the three large shrubs are different. While I’m a fan of consistency, I’m a bigger fan of staying on budget. So while my personal preference was that all three were the same shrubs, my plan is to just keep them trimmed & add accent flowers later.
While the large tree in the front yard provided shade, it provided a little (okay, a lot) too much. The grass wasn’t growing under it because it hadn’t seen the sun in years. The branches were growing so low, they were literally touching the ground. Again, it was so large and unkept, you can’t even see the house from the street.
While I mainly focused on the front yard, the side and backyard needed help too. My insurance company thought this mess was a safety hazard, and they required that I fix it. Like I mentioned earlier, all of the shrubs and trees were so overgrown. The trees in the backyard had overgrown so much it created a canopy that was so low someone would have to duck to get through.
After spending eight long hours on the front yard and another hour or so in the backyard, there was a noticeable difference. It’s amazing what a chainsaw can do!
Some other eye sores were the two sheds outback. Both were not in great condition and certainly weren’t adding any value to the property. As for the green house style shed, I knew I wasn’t going to keep it. The metal shed I considered just repairing; however, my insurance company required its removal. I certainly didn’t have the time (or desire) to remove them, even though a sledgehammer would have made it an easy process. Instead I put a couple free posts online and they both were gone immediately. Free labor and free removal made me very happy.
Ignore the scrap metal pile, but the ugly shed is gone (and the metal is about to be). So far my curb appeal upgrades have been free but LOTS of work. Lots of trimming. Lots of mowing. Lots of clearing. And it’s still not done, but I’m starting to feel like I’m actually making process!